This recipe is for Jolene I have been promising her this FOREVER!!! This is great for a dinner party, it has sooo much flavor. In the summer it’s great paired with a green salad and in the winter it great as a starter to pad thai or put in a huge bowl with crusty bread. I found this basic recipe on the back of the Taste of Thai Tom Ka soup mix but they have since removed it, and it wasn’t vegetarian. After making it a few times I have added and adjusted the quantities and I am pretty happy how my variations turn out, good thing I have a good memory for recipes! This recipe requires a hand or standard blender.
Thai Squash Apple Bisque
- 1 med-large or 2 small acorn squash peeled, and cut into 1-2 inch chunks
- 1 medium onion cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled
- 2 sweet apples like macintosh’s washed, peeled and quartered
- 1 can of coconut milk (I have used light, the original is creamier though)
- 1 package of Tom Ka Soup base (Taste of Thai makes a great version, and there is 2 pkg in each box)
- 2-3 cups Veggie stock
- 1/2-1 jalapeno
Prepare the veggies and fruit.
In a Medium sauce pan add chunks of onions, whole peeled cloves of garlic, and squash. Cover with veggie stock and cook until squash is just about tender.
Add apples and cook about 5 more minutes until they are soft. If you want it extra spicy throw in the chopped jalepeno now.
Remove from heat and blend using a hand blender or Standard blender. You might need to do this in 2 sessions if using a standard blender.
When smooth, gradually add entire can of coconut milk and blend together. Reheat if necessary. Soup should be very smooth.