Everyone has their own variation of this layer dip, this is mine which could be like yours 😉 It’s great at parties and disappears fast. This dip really lends well to improvisation. When I have them on hand I mix in a few diced smoked chipotle peppers for heat and colour into the cream cheese base. You can also easy turn this into a Seven layer dip by adding guacamole, refried beans and some fresh veggies, just alternate the layers and stack them on a big serving platter.
- 1 pkg of cream cheese
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp basil (fresh or dried)
- 3-4 tbsp of real mayo or plain yoghurt or sour cream whatever you have on hand
- 3/4-1 bottle of Salsa (I use medium Old El Paso is my favorite)
- 1 +1/2 cups of grated cheese (a mix of Monterey jack and cheddar is the best)
- 1 bag of Tortilla chips (the old style yellow corn ones hold up best to this dip)
Soften cream cheese by either leaving it at room temperature or in micro wave about 30 seconds. Add mayo(yoghurt or sour cream), garlic, and basil and blend until smooth.
Smooth the cream cheese cheese mix into a pie plate or similar 2 inch deep pan.
Cover cream cheese mixture with the bottle of salsa. and top with cheese.
The flavours develop after about 30 minute in the fridge to let the flavors come together. That being said it’s easier to dip and tastes better when served at room temperature. I would suggest making ahead of time and removing it from the fridge about 30 minutes before it should be served at a party.