Pasta salads are not rocket science, and although I have written this recipe to the best of my capabilities you can substitute just about anything. Add more veggies or more spice. In a pinch I have used bottled greek salad dressing and if you don’t eat cheese omit it and add in sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil and pine nuts. Also if you don’t have oregano make it with fresh basil.
Greek Pasta Salad
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp fresh or dried oregano leaves
- 1 large garlic clove grated
- 1 tbsp of Dijon mustard
- 1 box of tri-coloured fusilli pasta cooked, rinsed and cooled
- 1 cup of rennet free Feta cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes diced, or 1 large
- 1/2 an English cucumber, cut into slices then quartered
- 1/2 cup black olives
- 1/2-1 any green/red/orange pepper
- 1/2 cup of diced red onion
- Salt and pepper
In a bowl add oil, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, oregano and garlic. Whisk well, until a little frothy. You can also use a hand blender or blender to make it more creamy but it’s not necessary.
In large salad bowl, combine cooked pasta, Feta, tomato, cucumber, olives, pepper,and red onions. Pour in dressing and toss well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with extra oregeno or parsley if you have it. Let chill for about 1 hour. Sometimes after it sits I feel it needs a little more lemon or salt so taste and adjust after chilling/before serving.